Sunday, August 5, 2012

British Newspaper and TV Relationship

In the past week, most of us have tried to watch the Olympic Games, but only to find that we are limited to the UK provider of Olympic content - the BBC. I've caught a few sports, listened to some commentary, but did not get the same feel as I do in the US when I watch the Olympics, or sports in general. I've found the commentaries very interesting, and sometimes quite funny, but I feel like the commentators take to their job as more of an entertainment aspect than an actual sport aspect. For example, after every swim match, the commentators talk about what just happened for a few seconds, and then go off topic into some other aspect of the Olympics (most of the time it's Team GB). I'm not sure who's who in the reporting and news world in the UK, but it seems to me that the reporters and commentators have a higher status here than in the US.

While browsing through a British newspaper today, (which is all focused on the Olympics, of course), I noticed an article about people crying at the Olympics. This is not what caught my eye. What caught my eye was what was under the picture of a crying athlete. It said "From the TV chair of Rachel Johnson." This stood out to me because it did a major crossover - it merged TV and print together, working harmoniously. It was really cool to see the bigger role and multi-talented role that British reporters held. It shows that someone who is always at the action of the Olympics, who's main job is to report on television, is also giving the world something in print. It makes sense because here I've noticed that newspapers have a bigger presence. All in all, it seems that as a journalist, you can do anything in GB.

1 comment:

  1. Another example of the relationship between newspapers and TV is how news programs use newspapers. Sky News features a segment about what's featured on the covers of various newspapers. At first I thought this was lazy journalism, but it fits into the relationship between print and television. TV programs give airtime to newspapers and their headlines, so that viewers may go out and purchase them. It seems that GB has figured out how to keep these two forms of media intertwined.

    ReplyDelete